Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Dr. Catlin Powers, Eco-Engineer

I went into the Himalayas as an undergraduate to study climate change. Local people asked why my team was in the region, so I struggled to find the words "climate change" in Tibetan. Finally, I came up with "we are studying smoke in the sky." Everyone burst out laughing: "What a ridiculous thing to do. The sky is blue, but there's all this smoke in our homes." They brought me inside, and the air was thick and yellow, just searing to breathe. The air-quality monitors attached to my jacket indicated that the air was 10 times worse than what I'd recently measured in Beijing.
http://sierraclub.org/sierra/2016-3-may-june/faces-clean-energy/dr-catlin-powers-eco-engineer?suppress=true&utm_source=greenlife&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter
Article courtesy of Sierraclub.com by Erik Hoffner

No comments:

Post a Comment